Four Australian universities were ranked among the top 50 architecture schools in the world.
The University of Sydney was ranked 15th, returning to its 2017 ranking after slipping to 16 in 2018. The University of Melbourne follows closely to 17, advancing four places out of 21. RMIT University moved up to 22, down from 26, while the University of NSW fell from 23 to 25, a position it shares with the Technical University of Munich.
Curtin University, Sydney University of Technology, Monash University, Queensland University of Technology, and Queensland University were ranked between 51 and 100. Newcastle University, Griffith University, the University of Adelaide and the University of Western Australia were ranked between 101 and 150.
University College London was ranked best university for architecture, usurping the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), which has claimed the top spot in recent years.
A university’s ranking is determined by a number of factors, including the school’s academic and employer reputation, both of which are assessed through an international survey, the number of citations per research paper, and their H index, which is based on the institution’s most cited. articles and the number of citations the institution receives in other publications on a given topic.
The methodology used by ranking bodies like QS, and the importance placed on them by universities themselves, have been the subject of criticism in the past.
Australia has 20 accredited architectural programs for admission to the architectural practice exam.
The QS Global Rankings for Top 25 Universities for Architecture and the Built Environment in 2019 are:
1. University College London (UCL) – United Kingdom
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – United States
3. Delft University of Technology – The Netherlands
4. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich) – Switzerland
5. Harvard University – United States
6. University of California, Berkeley (UCB) – United States
7. University of Cambridge – United Kingdom
8. National University of Singapore – Singapore
9. Manchester School of Architecture – UK
10. Tsinghua University – China
11. Polytechnic University of Milan (Politecnico di Milano) – Italy
12. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) – Switzerland
13. The University of Hong Kong – Hong Kong
14. Columbia University – United States
15. The University of Sydney – Australia
16. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) – United States
17. The University of Melbourne – Australia
18. Tongji University – China
19. University of Tokyo – Japan
20. Hong Kong Polytechnic University – Hong Kong
21. The University of Sheffield – United Kingdom
22. RMIT University – Australia
23. Royal Institute of Technology KTH – Sweden
24. Georgia Institute of Technology – United States
25. Technical University of Munich – Germany
25. University of New South Wales – Australia
Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Sydney University of Technology (UTS) was ranked between 101 and 150. UTS was ranked between 51 and 100.