Australian architecture schools have, for the most part, declined slightly in the latest edition of the annual QS World University Rankings.
The University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney continue to rank among Australia’s top schools, ranking at 17e and 18e respectively, the latter sharing the place with the Chinese University of Tongji. In 2019, the University of Sydney was ranked 15the and Melbourne was 17e.
RMIT University ranked 25e, down from 22sd. The University of New South Wales fell from the top 25, to 27e
Curtin University, Monash University, Queensland University of Technology, Sydney University of Technology, and University of Queensland were all ranked between 51 and 100.
Newcastle University, University of Adelaide, University of South Australia and University of Western Australia were placed between 101 and 150.
The ranking of a university is determined by a number of factors, including the academic and employer reputation of the school, assessed through an international survey, the number of citations per research article and their H index, which is based on the institution’s most cited articles and the number of citations the institution receives in other publications on a given topic.
The methodology used by ranking bodies like QS, and the importance placed on them by universities themselves, have been the subject of criticism in the past.
Australia has 20 accredited architectural programs for admission to the architectural practice exam.
The QS Global Rankings of the 25 Best Architecture and Built Environment Universities in 2020 are:
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – United States
2. Delft University of Technology – The Netherlands
3. University College London (UCL) – United Kingdom
4. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH Zurich) – Switzerland
5. Harvard University – United States
6. University of California, Berkeley (UCB) – United States
7. Polytechnic University of Milan (Politecnico di Milano) – Italy
8. Manchester School of Architecture – United Kingdom
9. University of Cambridge – United Kingdom
10. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (EPFL) – Switzerland
11. Tsinghua University – China
12. National University of Singapore (NUS) – Singapore
13. Columbia University – United States
14. The University of Hong Kong – Hong Kong
15. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) – United States
16. The University of Tokyo – Japan
17. The University of Melbourne – Australia
18 =. The University of Sydney – Australia
18 =. Tongji University – China
20. Royal Institute of Technology KTH – Sweden
21. Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (Barcelona Tech) – Spain
22. Hong Kong Polytechnic University – Hong Kong
23. The University of Sheffield – United Kingdom
24. Technische Universität Berlin (TU Berlin) – Berlin
25. RMIT University – Australia